Click here to watch our GCGR promotional video!
The Girls Coach Girls Run (GCGR) program is run by the Women & Family Life Center and is open to all Shoreline families. Girls Coach Girls Run promotes self respect, community, leadership and healthy living while training for a 5K run. No running experience is required!
Through a 3-tiered peer mentoring program with high school girls, 8th graders, and 4th graders, Girls Coach Girls Run aims to increase leadership skills, build self esteem and interpersonal competencies, teach healthy lifestyles, and demonstrate the benefits of being an active community member. Head coaches and assistant coaches are trained in the program curriculum to then lead the program for the 4th grade participants.
Who can participate? Junior and senior high school girls, 8th grade girls, and 4th grade girls from shoreline towns.
How often does it meet?
The program is broken into 3 sessions:
- SESSION I (January -February) is for high school girls who are Head Coaches and meets for 7 weeks on Thursday evenings.
- SESSION II (February-April) is for the Head Coaches and the 8th grade Assistant Coaches and meets for 6 weeks on Thursday evenings.
- SESSION III (April-June, Tuesdays & Thursdays, 3:15 p.m. – 5:45 p.m.) includes all coaches and the 4th grade participants. The program meets in the afternoons for 6 weeks at elementary schools in Guilford and Madison.
- Locations to be announced.
- 5K RUN (June) Celebratory Event for participants and their families.
- Is there a charge? There is a registration fee for middle schoolers ($75) and elementary school students ($125). Scholarships are available.
Do I need to be an experienced runner to join? NO! This program is open to everyone. Many past participants have never run before.
Can adults get involved? YES! We are always looking for volunteers to be adult supervisors at our program sites. If you are interested in getting involved with our program, please call and speak to our program staff.
We would like to thank the following sponsors for their generous support of the
2016 Girls Coach Girls Run Program:
The Erwin C. Bauer Charitable Trust Fund
The Rotary Club of Guilford
Dr. Laura Miller, DDS