Monthly meeting held the third Wednesday of the month, 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. First Church of Christ, Scientist (Christian Science Church)
49 Park Street (on the Green)
Sub-group meetings held at various locations throughout the month.
Join this group of retired and semi-retired women who want to enrich their lives, make new connections, find new outlets for their personal and professional skills, and have fun while contributing to the community. We meet once a month on the 3rd Wednesday for a General Meeting; throughout the month at different times, we break into small subgroups based upon interest. There is a $15 annual fee to join our group; additional fees may be collected for charitable or social events.
About the General Meeting:
3rd Wednesday of every month; 10:30 am; our largest group meeting. Members who are interested usually go to lunch immediately after the meeting. It is not necessary to attend the General Meeting in order to be a member of WRR. The General Meeting is a way to hear speakers, find out what the current WRR activities will be, as well as to suggest additional activities.
The first General meeting one attends may be attended without obligation to join.
All information about meetings and activities is distributed by email.
Many members prefer the small group interactions as a way to pursue interests and meet other members. Many new and strong friendships have developed through these groups. They are fun and never at a loss for conversation.
WHAT WE DO:
- Invite speakers to present on topics of interest to our group
- Host an active monthly Book Club (click here for the book club blog)
- Host an active monthly Movie Club
- Take day trips to local and regional attractions. Recent trips include Newport, Long Wharf, and Ivoryton and a tour of Lincoln Center and the Metropolitan Opera House
- Volunteer our time with local organizations, such as the Connecticut Food Bank, Guilford Fund for Education, the Shoreline Arts Alliance and the Women & Family Life Center.
OUR INTEREST-BASED SUB-GROUPS:
Community Action Groups: Interested WRR members assist by volunteering with local community agencies. Information is available at meetings and via emails as to how and when WRR members may be able to assist. Some of the agencies we assist are:
- Connecticut Food Bank: Every third and fifth Tuesday of the month WRR members assist with packing for the CFB Mobile Food Pantry, at CFB Headquarters in East Haven from 10-12. WRR members have a walking team(in the CFB Walk Against Hunger) every May to help fund CFB programs.
- Shoreline Arts Alliance: WRR volunteers at exhibits, at the July Crafts Fair on the Green, and Shakespeare on the Green.
- Women And Family Life Center: WRR members volunteer at the front desk and at various WFLC functions throughout the year.
- Guilford Fund For Education: WRR members have a Spelling Bee Team and assist at GFFE functions.
Book Group: The WRR Book Group meets on the SECOND Monday of each month, at 1:30, at the Women and Family Life Center Carriage House, in the smaller room. Members may bring a book of choice to discuss. Some months have a theme.
Movie Group: The WRR Movie Group meets on the FOURTH Friday of each month. We view a matinee movie (usually in Madison or Branford) chosen by the group followed by a discussion at a local venue.
Golf Group: The WRR Golf Group meets at the Portland, CT. public course starting in the Spring. Golfers of all levels are welcome. There will be lessons for beginners.
Pickle Ball : The WRR Pickle Ball group currently meets at 8:30 a.m. at the Guilford Community Center in the colder months and Bittner Park in the warmer ones.
Bridge Group: The WRR Bridge Group has been highly successful. The group meets on several days at various locations.
Crafts Group: The WRR Crafts Group will reconvene in August. Each month the group creates a fun project.
Scrabble Group: The WRR Scrabble Group will reconvene soon. Stay tuned for time and place.
Museum Group: The WRR Museum Group attends museums and exhibits within the Northeast area. Stay tuned for our next adventure.
Trips: WRR tries to have an organized trip each month. Some of our past trips have been to the: Bronx Botanical Gardens (twice,) tours of: NBC studios, Lincoln Center, and backstage at the Metropolitan Opera House, walking the beautiful Highline in Chelsea, NYC, , Ivoryton and Long Wharf Theaters, Newport Flower Show, and Port Jefferson, LI. One must be a member of WRR to participate in the trips except when otherwise indicated. Various WRR members organize trips.
For more information about the group, please email us at email@example.com or call the Women & Family Life Center at 203-458-6699.